RED SALAD (2-3)
- ½ Red onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tsp red wine vinegar
- 8 cherry/ Rosa tomatoes, halved
- 1 tin red kidney beans,
- 1 tbsp olive oil,
- salt and pepper to taste,
1.Soak onion in red wine vinegar while preparing tomatoes and draining, and rinsing beans
2.Mix all ingredients together
3.Serve as a side salad or as a light meal with rocket and other salad ingredients
WHITE BEAN & TUNA SALAD (4)
- 1 tin white kidney beans, drained
- 2 tins tuna in brine, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 40ml light mayonnaise
- 15ml lemon juice
- Chopped parsley
- Rosa tomatoes
1.In a large bowl toss together all the ingredients, except the rocket and Rosa tomatoes, season to taste
2.Place tuna mixture over rocket and rosa tomatoes.
Optional: Add white balsamic vinegar if more dressing wanted.
Seared fresh tuna on baby spinach leaves with baby toms, steamed green beans, baby potatoes, olives and 1 soft boiled egg. Dress with lemon juice and red wine vinegar, and season to taste
EASY 3-BEAN SALAD
- 1 box Werda three bean salad, vacuum packed (available from the local supermarket)
- Add 1 tin drained red Kidney beans
- Add chopped celery, onion, red pepper and fresh basil
BORLOTTI BEAN SALAD (2)
- 1 tin Borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- Dash Olive oil
- Lemon juice from 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 4 Spring onions chopped
- Baby tomatoes, cut in half – approx ½ punnett
- Rocket, spinach and watercress mixed
- Grated Cheese to taste, choose a reduced fat cheese or a cheese with high flavour so use a little e.g. parmesan
1.Mix the above ingredients together in a bowl and serve.
BAKED YELLOWTAIL, PORTUGUESE STYLE (6)
- 1kg yellowtail fillets, skin removed and cut into portions
- 45ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 60ml olive oil
- 2-3 fat cloves garlic, crushed
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube or 7ml instant chicken stock powder
- 1-3 whole chillies, finely chopped
- Seasoned flour
- 600g baby potatoes, cut into quarters lengthwise and steamed
- 62ml sun dried tomato pesto
- 100ml dry white wine
1.Score the side of the fish lightly with a sharp knife. Sprinkle fish with lemon juice and allow to stand for a few minutes
2.Place oil, garlic, coriander, chicken stock and chillies in a food processor and blend to a paste.
3.Sprinkle both sides of fish lightly with seasoned flour and spread with the paste. Allow to stand for 15min.
4.In the meantime steam the potatoes until just tender and toss in the sun dried tomato pesto to coat.
5.Place the fish in an oven proof dish. Carefully pour wine into the side and top with the potatoes.
6.Bake at 220°C for 25-30 min.
FISH IN TOMATO SAUCE
See the tomato based sauce recipe under minced beef. Place this warm tomato sauce in a small oven proof dish. Add 4 fish fillets, sprinkle with pitted olives, capers and basil leaves and place in the oven at 220°C for 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked.
HOME-MADE FISH CAKES (8 small or 4 burger size)
- 2 boiled potatoes, roughly mashed
- 1 large can salmon
- Handful chopped parsley and chives
- 1 tsp red Thai chilli paste
- Lemon zest and lemon juice of ½ lemon
- 3-4 spring onions, chopped
- 1-2 handfuls of oats
Mix the above ingredients altogether, shape into balls and flatten to make thick, round cakes (approx 7.5cm diameter). Brush with egg white and dip cakes to coat in sesame seeds. Place in fridge to chill. Heat a little olive oil/ canola oil in non-stick pan and cook fish cakes until heated through and slightly crispy.
PRAWN & CHILLI PASTA (4)
- 200g frozen prawns
- 250g sphagettini
- 4 tsp garlic oil
- 4 spring onions
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 200g sun blushed tomatoes
- 125ml white wine
- 50g rocket
- Flat leaf parsley, chopped
1.Defrost prawns. Boil pasta in salted water.
2.Heat oil in a large frying pan, fry chilli and spring onions in garlic oil. Add tomatoes, once warmed through, add wine.
3.Add rocket, then drain pasta and add to pan, heat through.
4.Serve with flat leaf parsley.
Sun blushed tomatoes:
Preheat oven to 220°C, cut approx 24 Baby/Rosa tomatoes in half and place cut side up into a roasting pan, add Malden salt, ¼ tsp sugar, 1tsp dried thyme and a little olive oil. Place in oven, turn oven off and leave overnight.
LEMON CHICKEN CASSEROLE (6)
- 2 Onions cut into 8th’s – place in large re-sealable plastic bag for marinating
- Add 1 lemon, cut into quarters and squeezed, add husk too
- Black pepper to taste
- Sprinkle over dried sage
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1/4 cup garlic infused olive oil
1.Mix the above together in a re-sealable plastic bag
2.Add 10 chicken pieces (bone and skin on)
3.Marinade in fridge for at least 1hr
4.Remove from bag, place in casserole dish
5.Chop some fresh sage into dish and bake at 220°C for 1hr 10min
6.Serve with brown rice and lentils mixed
SLOW ROASTED CHICKEN & TOMATO (4)
- 4 jointed chicken legs
- Fresh basil, handful, stalks finely chopped
- 2 big handfuls red and yellow tomatoes, halved, and ripe plum tomatoes, quartered.
- 1 garlic bulb, broken into cloves
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- Olive oil – drizzle a little over (approx 1 tsp/person)
- 1 tin Cannellini beans, drained (optional)
1.Preheat oven to 180°C. Season chicken pieces and place in pan in one layer.
2.Throw in basil leaves, stalks, and tomatoes. Scatter garlic cloves and chilli and drizzle over olive oil.
3.Mix around a bit, putting tomatoes underneath.
4.Place in oven 1 ½ hrs, turning the tomatoes halfway through, until the chicken meat falls off the bone. You can add Cannellini beans to the pan as well, and cook them with the chicken.
Remove skin prior to eating, serve with baby potatoes or simple mash, and salad or vegetables. Or remove the chicken from the bone and toss in pasta.