Bsc Dietetics MNutr
Charle’ Maritz is an experienced dietitian based in Melkbosstrand. She is a member of the Association for Dietetics in South Africa (ADSA) and registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) as well as the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) in the United Kingdom.
Charlé completed her BSc Dietetics degree at the University of the Free State. She then moved to the United Kingdom where she worked in various teaching hospitals gaining experience in diabetes, weight management and heart diseases. After a couple of years she specialised in HIV/AIDS and completed her MNutr with the main focus on the use of alternative and complementary therapies in HIV/AIDS. She twice travelled to South Africa as part of a voluntary group (CHIVA) to provide assistance and facilitate the roll-out programme of anti-retrovirals for children in Kwa-Zulu Natal. She is also a co-author for a chapter in Nutrition and HIV ed. Vivian Pribram (chapter 16: Complementary and Alternative Therapy, p. 345 – 359).
After Charlé completed her MNutr she specialised in Inherited Metabolic Diseases(IMD). She became the clinical lead dietitian for all adult patients with IMD’s at the biggest adult IMD centre in Europe. This became her passion and she took part in various research studies, written articles and presented at international conferences. She also co-authored a chapter in the Manual of Dietetic Practice relating to Inherited Metabolic Diseases in Adults. Her other passion is the use of the Ketogenic diet in Adults for the treatment of Epilepsy and GLUT1 deficiency.
While working in London she also lectured Masters level students in Clinical Nutrition and Public Health on the dietary management of Inborn Metabolic Disorders.
Her approach is to offer clear, understandable and realistic advice and support to nutritional issues and achieve your goals. She will work with you to put together an individualised action plan which takes into consideration your medical background, condition, nutritional requirements, activity and lifestyle. She is also skilled in a wide range of dietetic consultancy, including developing and delivering group training and workshops, creating resources and writing articles.
- Adam S, Almeida MF, Weber E, Champion H, Chan H, Daly A, Dixon M, Dokoupil K, Egli D, Evans S, Eyskens F, Faria A, Ferguson C, Hallam P, Heddrich-Ellerbrok M, Jacobs J, Jankowski C, Lachmann R, Lilje R, Link R, Lowry S, Luyten K, MacDonald A, Maritz C, Martins E, Meyer U, Muller E, Murphy E, Robertson LV, Rocha JC, Saruggia I, Schick P, Stafford J, Stoelen L, Terry A, Thom R, van den Hurk T, van Rijn M, Teefelen-Heithoff A, Webster D, White FJ (2013). Dietary practices in Pyridoxine non-responsive homocystinuria: A European study. Mol Genet Metab; 110 (4): 454 – 459
- Adam S, Assoun M, Baruteau J, Bigot S, Champion H, Dassy M, Daly A, Dawson S, Dixon M, Dokoupil K, Dubois S, Eardley J, Evans S, Eyskens F, Faria A, Favre E, Ferguson C, Ferreira de Almeida M, Goncalves C, Heddrich-Ellerbrok M, Jankowski C, Janssen-Regelink R, Jouault C, Laguerre C, Le Verge S, Link R, Lowry S, Luyten K, MacDonald A, Maritz C, Meyer U, Micciche A, Robert M, Robertson L, Rocha J, Rohde J, Saruggia I, Sjoqvist E, Stafford J, Terry A, Thom R, Vande Kerckhove K, van Teeffelen-Heithoff A, van Wegberg A, van Wyk K, Vestergaard H, Webster D, White FJ, Wildgoose J, Zweers H (2012). European Dietary Management of Urea Cycle Disorders. J Inherit Metab Dis; 35 (Suppl 1): S4
- Langendonk JG, Roos JCP, Angus L, Williams M, Karstens FPJ, de Klerk JBC, Maritz C, Ben-Omran T, Williamson C, Lachmann RH, Murphy E (2012). A series of pregnancies in women with inherited metabolic disease. J Inherit Metab Dis; 35 (3): 419 – 424
- Mobayed E, Maritz C, Chan H, Grey C, Ellerton C, Freedman F, Lachmann R, Murphy E (2011). Raised Body Mass Index (BMI) of adult patients with PKU. J Inherit Metab Dis; 34 (Suppl 3): S52
- Dawson C, Murphy E, Maritz C, Chan H, Ellerton C, Carpenter RHS, Lachmann RH (2011). Dietary treatment of phenylketonuria: the effect of phenylalanine on reaction time. J Inherit Metab Dis; 34: 449 – 454
- Maritz C, Chan H (2011). The role of the adult metabolic dietitian. Complete Nutrition; 11 (2):19 – 21
- Maritz CM, Chan H, Ellerton C (2010). Trimethylaminuria – fish odour syndrome. Complete Nutrition; 10 (4): 12 – 14
- Maritz CM (2010). ICIEM Dietitians Workshop report, San Diego. BIMDG Bulletin; Issue 36: 6-8
- Maritz CM, Chan H, Ellerton C (2010). Dietary management of Maternal Phenylketonuria: A practical guide. Nutricia Ltd
- Maritz CM, Murphy E (2010). Pregnancy, Inherited Metabolic Disease and Learning Difficulties: a triple challenge. BIMDG Conference
- Maritz CM, Cousins A, Murphy E (2009). Reduction in insulin response in a patient with GSD1 using a new modified starch: case report. BIMDG Conference
- Maritz CM, Murphy E (2009). Use of the Modified Atkins Diet in a patient with GLUT1 Deficiency syndrome. BIMDG Conference
- Maritz CM, McWhinnie C, Lilburn M, Cole A, Lee PJ (2008). Three or four protein substitutes per day in pre-conception and maternal Phenylketonuria. Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease; 31 (1): 143